Comedy channel Gold has announced the return of its annual Christmas cracker joke competition to discover the best festive gags – covering all the ups and downs of the tumultuous 2020 – as written by the British public.
Last year’s winning joke was a Trump-inspired jest: “Why does Donald Trump have his Christmas dinner on a plastic plate? He doesn’t get on with China.” With the 2018 winner also focussing on the politician, being: “What does Donald Trump do after he pulls a cracker? Pays her off.”
For eight years running, Gold has launched the competition to encourage the nation to get creative with a Christmas twist on current events and trends. With topics such as Brexit chaos, Zoom quizzes and Megxit, to Kanye’s run for presidency and the end of the Kardashians to choose from, the aim is to get the country chuckling and keep spirits up this Christmas.
The competition is open until 11.59pm on Sunday 25th October 2020, and individuals can enter by tweeting original, witty and family friendly Christmas jokes with the hashtag #GoldCrackers.
The winner will receive £1,500 experience vouchers, a festive-themed food and drink hamper and as well as their joke being included in a personalised set of crackers ready to pull on the big day, it will also be featured on Gold ad breaks throughout December.
The nine runners-up will receive a festive Christmas hamper, a box of bespoke Gold Christmas crackers, which includes the top six winning jokes, as well as seeing their joke on Gold ad breaks.
HOW TO ENTER
Open to all UK residents aged 18 and over. To enter:
- Follow @GoldChannel and tweet a Christmas-themed joke via your personal Twitter account including #GoldCrackers
- Gold is looking for the most original festive jokes that put a comedy twist on the news agenda or pop culture across the past year
- Jokes must be original content and suitable for a family audience (e.g. no swear words or offensive content)
- The joke entry must be included within one tweet (i.e. not be more than 280 characters), including #GoldCrackers
- Multiple entries are allowed
- All entrants must follow @GoldChannel (so we can notify the winners) – but the @GoldChannel twitter handle does not need to be included in the joke entry
- Competition ends at 23:59 on 25/10/2020
For further information on the terms and conditions, please visit https://gold.uktv.co.uk/article/gold-crackers-competition-2020-terms-conditions/
The best jokes will be shortlisted by a panel led by comedy critic and editor of comedy website Beyond The Joke, Bruce Dessau. Bruce said, “I’m sure we can all agree that 2020 has been one of the strangest and most turbulent yet! However, despite the ups and downs, our British wit means we can always find something to smile about. From awkward family Zoom calls to Tiger King, I’m looking forward to see what comic gems emerge from this year’s Gold Christmas Crackers competition.”
Gerald Casey, Gold channel director, said, “This is a Gold tradition and every year I’m so impressed by the comedy talent of our viewers. I’m looking forward to seeing what jokes the British public come up with this year.”
With the success of Gold’s Christmas Cracker competition across the last eight years, the channel is welcoming back the chance to enjoy the festive cheer. As entries are made via Twitter, all gags must be within 280 characters, to keep jokes short and snappy like the very best crackers!