Time has marched on and we after much deliberation, many late nights scratching our heads and one or two glasses of wine we’ve decided upon the Shortlist for the 2017 Funny Women Writing Award!
Each of the 27 scripts on the Longlist was re-read by at least one of the judges and scored for their Premise and Tone, Characters, Plotting, Dialogue and Humour and Marketability. In addition, each judge had the chance to ‘champion’ a handful of scripts they were really passionate about.
We’ve tried to reflect a range of styles, tones and ideas that all have the potential to be turned into something bigger. Whilst our judges didn’t always agree on what they liked (comedy is, after all subjective), every script on the shortlist had at least one great review and at least one judge championing it.
So without further ado, the shortlisted scripts (in alphabetical order) are…
- Beg, Borrow and Steal, by Maria Pullicino and Katherine Hearst
- G Street, by Angela Nesi & Anna Brook-Mitchell
- Hitched, by Rhiannon Neads
- Hostel, by Lorna Shaw
- Internalised, by Haleema Mirza
- Liz and Cath, by Stevie Cooke
- Nosh, by Alex Hardy
- S&M Sissy and Mistress, by Kiran Benawra
- Speak Soon, by Sam Fraser
- Victoria and Twig, by Kate Stokes
If your script didn’t make it, then take heart that you got this far in a very competitive field and do try again next year.
We’d love everyone to stay engaged with the Funny Women community, so do sign up for the newsletter and come along to one of our events or follow us @funnywomen and @scriptchicken.
What happens next?
- The final 10 scripts on the Shortlist will now be considered by the Senior Judges at a meeting at Sky TV next week.
The authors of the TOP three scripts will be informed on 8th March and invited to the Funny Women Awards Charity Final on Monday 12th March, at the Duchess Theatre, Covent Garden London where the winner will be announced! If you’re on the shortlist then make sure to keep your diary clear just in case…